Friday, January 22, 2010

Maurice 'Rocket' Richard

I had been thinking about making some hockey hero figurines for a while, and recently I completed my first one. This figure is of one of the greatest players ever: Maurice 'Rocket' Richard from the Montreal Canadiens.
I am very pleased with how he turned out. It took a few tries to make a stick that would work, but I finally came up with something that I think does the job. For a while I thought that maybe he would have to go without a stick, but a hockey player just wouldn't look right without it. As you can see in the last picture, the stick is removable and the head can be turned.
Painting took about 6 hours. When you look at the figure now, it seems hard to figure how it could take that long, but details such as straight lines take time! They very first thing that I painted was the logo. First the white background, then the red 'C' and finally the blue. The last part of the uniform to be painted was all the red. The figure is 6.5 cm tall (2.5 inches)
This is yet another figurine (head and body) to be made from a set of old table legs that my neighbor was throwing out with the trash a couple years age. Absolutely excellent wood. Recycling at work!


0 comments: